We believe that in order to succeed in the film, television and theatre industries, you need to be trained in all disciplines so that you understand the implications of every action you take.
A truly creative space, AFTT resounds with the rattle of endeavour; it is a busy, vibrant, eclectic and dynamic environment, in which you get to explore, experience and engage with your peers.
AFTT students benefit from the range and depth of industry experiences our tutors bring to their teaching, as they are all respected working professionals. Our teaching programs integrate internationally recognised and well-renowned performance techniques – the Eric Morris system, Meyerhold BioMechanics – with a hands-on collaborative approach that sees our film students holding a camera and acting students on the stage from Day One.
Here are just a few of the things that make us different:
1. AFTT offers industry recognised training in all areas of the film, theatre and TV world, from singing and dancing on stage to acting for a television mini-series, from rigging lights to designing sound; interpreting a Director's cinematic vision on screen to editing and post production on a high end commercial ... and everything in between. To this end we teach our students to be highly adaptable, experienced and exceptionally skilled to address a broad range of opportunities in these growing industries.
2. While theory is an important aspect of learning your craft, in order to succeed in the industry we believe you need to learn hands on. So, at AFTT, we focus on production and performance-based training – practical, professional and designed to align with industry best practice.
3. We are Australia’s most immersive creative arts institution, where collaboration and cross-disciplinary engagement is key. Designed as a holistic and broad-focused space, thanks to the myriad facets of studying at AFTT, our filmmakers, directors and producers are able to cast from campus, our acting students have a wide range of stages and soundstages to work with, and stage managers and live producers are always in demand.
4. Our industry networks are an integral part of what makes AFTT so successful. We work closely with Belvoir St Theatre, Bondi Pavilion, Sydney Film Festival and more. AFTT is also affiliated with the Western Australian Screen Academy (WAAPA), and the University of New England (UNE) where students can articulate and pursue their passion and dedication to the highest possible level.
5. Our courses are fully accredited, providing students with the real-world qualifications they need to gain employment in our industry, and the assurance they require to focus on what matters most to them.
6. Our tutors and mentors are all working industry experts, so not only are you taught by the best, you get to absorb their knowledge of working in the industry. They are professionals who have forged careers in every area of the performing arts, and who continue to make their own definitive mark on the industry, starring, directing, producing and collaborating on highly acclaimed productions both in Australia and internationally.
7. Founded on inspiration, adventure and creative excellence, at AFTT our culture fosters fearlessness, inspires passion and commands respect. With a highly supportive and nurturing approach, we pride ourselves on helping our students aspire to greatness.